Sunday, February 22, 2009

My findings

Many valuable message boards exist to serve the affected-by-diabetes crowd. Greetings most often consist of an initiatory "I'm sorry you're here in the first place," then "we've been in your shoes," followed by "our vast knowledge will help you."

Which is comforting once you get beyond that initial insult (if they're disappointed, does that mean I should be too?)

I tried that for part of today, separating the curse from the gift, and wallowing in the former. Not a huge fan, and I'm over it. Looking back at my past week-and-a-half, I was glad to have reason to leap out of bed, to test for that blood sugar, and approach breakfast with balance in my head.

Fruits with every serving, even for this mother is something new, eventually we'll graduate to vegetables. The challenging excitement of narrowing down 15g carbohydrate snacks.

Here's my list of 5 FAVES:

Fiber One yogurt (lime and strawberry)

19g carbs but 5 grams of fiber
(= 16.5g total snackilicious flavor, + 4g protein)

DanActive yogurt drinks (blueberry, strawberry, vanilla...yum!)
14g carb + 3g protein

OLD DUTCH cheesy puffcorn
(2.5 cups = 15g carb, 2g protein)

HERSHEY'S 100 calorie pretzel bars
(Um, pretzel grids dipped in chocolate)
14g = two "cookies", 4.5g fat

and best but not least (it's my 7yo's favorite)
NABISCO 100 calorie packs,
OREO SnackCakes (15g packet)


All day yesterday we did ten, and her numbers were phenomenal.

Watching my daughter adjust is not just inspiring, it's reassuring. What life was before, always and forever shall be. We're simply more creative now, our chef hats yearning a place on our heads.

2 comments:

  1. This doesn't have anything to do with this particular post, but I remembered something while I was fixing dinner. I had a friend who I played with a lot from age 4 to age 7 or 8 when I moved. He had diabetes, too. I'm not sure when he was diagnosed, if it happened before I met him or after I knew him. What I remember is not ever really noticing when he'd have to go to his mom to get checked. He simply left for a moment and then came back. We always played "boy" things but he wasn't rough and tumble. In first grade, when the meanness of some kids starts to come out, he left to see the nurse one day and a kid shouted out, (something like) "Hey why does HE get to leave class all the time?" The teacher explained something including that he was getting shots. That kinda turned the tide - shots all the time and no crying meant he was tough and that was enough for the boys.
    Of course, I already knew that. On our short-cut to the bus stop, he'd always climb across the fence first and get the 2 dobermans to go bark at him at the other end so I could cross.
    I'm not sure that it means anything to you or why I felt like telling it to you. It's just a small thing from a kid outsider's perspective. I'll shut up now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story, and the most noticeable thing about diabetic kids. They are STRONG! Invincible maybe, the eventually ask for the shots. yay blood sugar

    ReplyDelete