Thursday, October 29, 2009

Giving Birth to Dead Fetuses

I couldn't be more grateful to be carrying a baby to term that will die within minutes of being born. I'm in no way being sarcastic, or relying on my ability to adapt to just about any situation, short of torture...it is the truth.

A large part of my appreciation goes to the tremendously committed efforts of activists, known as the Right to Lifers. I give them my thanks for the precious two-and-a-half months I'll have left, feeling my baby's kicks, squirms, and well-oxygenated wiggles.

From the literature I've read on bereavement by parents, who've lost children in all stages of pregnancy, by both choice and nature's power, I'm walking the correct road. The one that will spare my soul, cause the least regret, and strengthen my character...these are my values.

Also, I'm concerned I'd have been too quick to decide for myself that "termination" or "pregnancy interruption" was the answer, had insurance agreed in my particular case, to help me over that $10,000 barrier. As is one of the dilemmas when you have to travel three states away, once past the 24 week limitation that I hadn't previously factored.

I've learned that this standard is a credible boundary kept intact by researchers and physicians whose specialty is to determine what's best for my female body, and for my fetus, my unborn child. I also personally believe it was God's design for my possibilities to be constrained by that timeline, so that I might see for my own self the valid points and positions defended by the Right to Lifers.

However as a mother to five children and one developing fetus, and as even the most righteous advocate of the most heart-rendering cause will admit, or finally tell you...until one walks in the shoes of the parent who must advocate for her own life, and the life of her own child, it is not the Right to Lifer's privilege to decide any other person's behavior.

"All men are created equal", as protected by the laws in America, and Freedom of Speech and persuasion is alive and well in this Republic, thanks be to God. Even the abortion clinics themselves welcome the hiring of encouraging Christian women who are quite influential in coaxing expectant mothers towards other options. I experienced, followed, and was blessed through that guidance myself, over ten years ago.

It's a wonderful thing to see beauty and potential in chaos, to feel more empowered than the parent who decides too briskly, or after much thought and prayer, that their child is somehow a monster, or unfit for survival by human standards. And, it's an unfortunate position to be in, for all women who must witness imperfection in God's design (please, allow doctors to illustrate, and anatomists to tell you).

A human being can persuade, shout, and even presume to know God's plan for our lives, or for the life of a fetus or a significantly malformed newborn. Our pastors can support, dissuade, or remain neutral with regards to our decisions,...and the free press can publish as many fact-based, or passion-inspired gifts, as any cause requires.

Federally-funded insurance is being offered to our citizens to protect and defend the health of our whole entire nation. It is not a tool to be wielded by unlicensed speculators of women's thinking, or an opportunity to limit without solid medical reasoning, the options available that provide complete and total healthcare.

The coverage is ethical and moral no matter what the procedure, so long as it is in line with the American Medical Association's standards for practitioners. Which are not dictated by insurance companies, faith-based influence, or the squeakiest wheel in the system...but instead, by educated and experienced physicians who operate in humankind's best interest.

At least that's my position, that my civil liberties will remain fiercely protected by our elected politicians. May our nation's conscience be well, and bi-partisan support be won, for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment